What will happen if the server in which your blog is hosted crashes? If you are lucky you will get a backup of your database from your provider. Sometimes, the damage will be severe and you will not get a copy of your database backup.
In order to prevent an incident as specified above, you need to capture backup of your database from time to time. It is possible to download a copy of your database backup using PhpMyAdmin, which is available with CPanel.
However, you can also generate a backup of your database from within WordPress.
(1) Download WP-DBManager plugin – http://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-dbmanager/
(2) Upload the folder – wp-dbmanager to wp-content/plugins folder using FTP. You can make use of FileZilla software to upload files.
(3) Login to WordPress dahboard and activate the plugin.
(4) You may directly search for WP-DBManager plugin from within Plugins section under WordPress dashboard.
(5) You will view the following message soon after activation
Your backup folder might be visible to the public
It indicates that you have to move .htaccess file to the folder mentioned on the displayed message
(6) You will find an entry named – Database on the left side navigation panel
(7) You have to rectify the errors which you will see in red color before proceeding to backup the database.
(8) The plugin will display the details of all the previous backups under Manage Backup DB page
(9) You can also execute SQL queries by selecting Run SQL Query option
Note that there are plenty of plugins available for database backup. However, I advise you to make use of backup utility available with CPanel so that you can avoid the need to give permissions to folders.
Looking for quality Linux Hosting? No Better option than WebhostingWorld Hosting!!